Tuesday, December 17, 2013

5 Day Forecast: W3V1

Monday ∆ My Morning Jacket - I'll Be Home For Christmas (feat. The Head and the Heart) 

I for one am a big fan of My Morning Jacket, and Christmas songs. The fact that the two of these came together is absolute bliss. Granted this was released two years ago, I just had to post it because I just really love this version of I'll Be Home For Christmas.

This remake of Bing Crosby's 1945 Top 10 Hit is really soothing. Singer of My Morning Jacket, Jim James really holds true to the jazzy vocals like the original tune. He sings this song so smooth and slow that it has you reaching for a glass of hot chocolate, curling up next to a decorated Christmas tree, and watching the snow fall in a state of pure relaxation. Now, My Morning Jacket, most certainly isn't a jazz band, but the way in which they execute this jazzy cover is excellent. The acoustic guitar, the jazzy piano, the brushed snare drums, the calmly picked upright bass, everything comes together so well.

Eventually, some organ playing emerges from the background and Jim is accompanied by some backup vocals that compliment so chillingly. What, I don't understand however, is why there are only two comments. One of the users stating "This sounds terrible!". Well, that user clearly doesn't the true beauty behind this cover. Everything with this track is just so warming I can't see how it could be terrible. The other comment I can agree with however, it states "idk why, this track is so soothing lol". Now that I can agree with!

But, anyway here is the My Morning Jacket twist of a holiday classic:



-Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment