Thursday, December 5, 2013

5 Day Forecast: W1V4

Thursday ∆ The Black and White Years - Strange Figurines

Hey, are you guys into dreamwave? Well if not this song will turn you into a total dreamwave bro. The Austin, Texas group The Black and White Years has put out this fun loving, synth filled, totally sap song, Strange Figurines. Also, check out the plays it has. At the time I am writing this it only has about 54. But, before you know it this song might rack up the plays and end up on Alt Nation with all mainstream indie hits. Congrats you stupid hipster, you're listening to some pretty underground tunes now.

The song opens up with some simplistic synth lines, but the melody is too wicked and has me instantly hooked. The synths remind me of some synths that chillwave dudes such as, Chad Valley or Small Black would strike up in their tunes. The 2 step minimalistic kick and snare beat really gets the groove going despite its simplistic vibes.

The verse hits with an additional basic plucking synth and some melancholy relatively basic vocals. But, this bro's vocal melodies totally compliment the song and the atmosphere it creates further fits it into the dreamwave genre. Then, comes the chorus which varies slightly from the verse in terms of melody, chords, etc (not by too much). Although the beat, melody, and chords remain relatively the same throughout the whole tune, "I don't care, I love it" (please tell me I didn't just use that line). The repetition in this song believe it or not adds some character to it and I really like it.

This tune has got me bobbing my head throughout and really puts off some chill vibes. In the song they constantly repeat the lyrics "shut up, and kiss me" but I won't be shutting up about this song.



No comments:

Post a Comment