Saturday, February 15, 2014

Featured Artist: SPDNA



So, as some of you may know, there is an area on this site that artists and the general public can submit music for review. Well, one of the artists that sent in his music was SPDNA, also known as Isaac Baronikian from our neighbor to the north, Canada.

This electronica artist released an EP back in september simply titled Confessions. He released the six track album on the first day of his senior year. As you will see in this short, three question, email based interview with Isaac of SPDNA, he is very focused on connecting with people on an emotional level with this EP. His chilling atmospheric beats really do accomplish creating an emotional connection via the music.

Interview:

Where do you draw your musical influence from?

"I don't know if I have any specific influences...  I grew up in a family with a very wide listening scope when it came to music, so I've absorbed a lot. Really I just try and blend natural instruments with electronic music as best as I can - I think electronic music can gain a significant amount of emotion from real instruments. I also I think there's something to be said for how the smoothness of jazz can be applied fairly universally - regardless of which genre you find yourself working in. This is an exciting time for our music world, and every day I find myself taking cues from a different artist. If I'm naming names, I was really into Chrome Sparks and a guy named fthrnsn a while ago, and I've been listening to a lot of Ta-Ku and Kaytranada lately."

Favorite track on your album and why?

"Favourite track on the album goes to Dusk. I find that Dusk affects me on a very emotional level - and what's magical about it is that you can listen to it as an uplifting track just as well as you can listen to it as a mellow, somber one. Most of the instruments in Dusk are real, recorded ones - I doubt the track would have the same effect if it was done with software sounds."

Give a breif history about your music project.

"I started this project back in February this year, which seems like a century ago. The original plan was to release an EP at the end of the school year, but I found myself continually making it a larger project. I decided I wanted this release to be more than just music - it had to be an experience. It became something of a photography portfolio, which took form in the digital liner notes. Seven months later, on the first day of grade twelve, in September, the album was out. I made it pay what you want, because the goal of this project wasn't to make money - it was to connect emotionally with whoever took the time to listen to my album."

This album starts with the track Dusk (Blackout Session), which happens to be SPDNA's favorite track as previously stated in the interview. In my opinion this track makes for a great intro track. Despite the fact that it's winter, when I listen to this song I imagine a relaxing rainy summer day. You really get lost in the smooth reverberated drum beats and twinkling guitars. SPDNA does a good job of creating an atmosphere with the rain sounds and swelling piano sounds. His main goal of this track was to emotionally connect with the listener and I think this goal accomplished simply because every song is throughly engaging and the real instruments make it sound quite authentic like it's being played just for the listener.

From Dusk all the way to the last dreamy song, Asleep, the album has the listener drifting off into space. The atmospheres take the listener to a whole other universe, a universe of beautiful music. 





No comments:

Post a Comment